Weightloss at a Glance!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Getting Frustrated

I'm getting frustrated now. With OWLO, the first step of your surgery is attended one of their seminars. I did that June 25th. There you are told that they will be submitting your surgery to your insurance company for approval. You are warned that it could take about two or three weeks before they hear back. They also let you know that SOME insurance companies have prerequisites before allowing any type of weightloss surgery. My insurance company, however, does not. They only require you to be 100 pounds overweight with one co-morbidity (health issue directly associated with your weight) or that you be 200% of your ideal body weight (you weight twice what you should). I qualify, under those terms, so they'll cover my surgery.

I followed the guidelines set by my insurance. I got the referral from my PCM. I found the place I want(ed) to have my surgery. I was approved to see the OWLO team. I called them, and did everything I can do, so far. I went to the seminar. I submitted my patient packet and insurance information. Two weeks after the seminar I hear nothing from OWLO. I call to find out, that they haven't even begun working on insurance approvals for my seminar! Fine, maybe they're busy. Later that week, I receive a call, to let me know they are about to process my insurance approval, but alas my insurance doesn't cover the type of surgery that I originally wanted. I tell them to submit the approval for a RNY. She informs me that it usually takes a few days before they hear back, but she'll call and schedule my first appointment as soon as they get the approval.

Now here's the doozie.....My insurance company approved it the same day. Eleven days ago, and I've heard nothing back from OWLO. I tried to call, and was basically brushed off, or so I feel. It's irritating. The military is going to let my husband come home for the surgery, and take care of the kids while I recover. But his unit is set to deploy soon, so it's vitally important to us that I get in there, and get this underway. I need to have my surgery, I'm guessing, sometime in September, for him to be able to take the month of leave my surgery would require to recover! I feel like they're lolly-gagging! I've done everything I can do so far! I've been exercising....mostly swimming lately. I had, at one point, given up Diet Coke, because you can't have it afterwards. I'm an emotional eater though. In my frustration, instead of binging on food, I started drinking diet coke again. I've quit many times before, so I know I can do it again, it's not exactly hard for me to do, but it takes a week or two before I stop craving it. (It's my weakness, I admit it.)

(Wow, this is long) I called OWLO yesterday.....left a voice mail.....ugh. I apologized for being a pain in the arse, but I tried to convey my urgency as well. If I can't get in there, and get my part done ASAP, I'm afraid it'll be to late and my husband won't be able to take leave. We've been apart for 23 months already. My kids and I have spent 6 weeks of that with him, and that's IT! If I don't get this done sometime in September, I'm afraid my kids will lose any chance of seeing their dad before he deploys!

I need this surgery. I'm the first to admit it. But we need to see him before he leaves for a year, again. I just wish OWLO would help me out a bit, by doing their part too. I need them to call me back, so I can set up that first appointment. I've got the money for the evaluations, and the pre-op supplements. On payday I'll have the money for the post-op supplements. I've done everything I can do.....it's their turn, right?? If I don't have an appointment by the 25th of July, I'm afraid I'm going to have to look elsewhere to get this done. I was really looking forward to having this done with OWLO, but I'm getting frustrated.


current weight: 292 pounds =(

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.