Weightloss at a Glance!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Help, I'm drowning!

I've been trying to make some small changes every week, to the way I eat. I'm trying to get myself ready for the way I'll have to eat after surgery. I bought some protein mix. You all know that, cause I've already blogged about it. I couldn't finish, it just got worse, the longer I drank it. But no worries, I went and got some more pudding stuff! I'm good to go with protein shakes now. I've already kicked rice and pasta out the door. That wasn't too tough. I did buy some pasta plus the other day. I thought when the kids have spaghetti, that I would make them the regular stuff, and try a small serving of protein pasta. It's still got quite a few carbs, though not as many as the stuff I used to eat, and it's got protein in it. I need to write it down and be sure to ask my dietitian about it Tuesday.

I'm having a harder time with bread and Diet Coke. I hadn't had a Diet Coke for about two weeks, and I finally caved last night. I bought a 12 ounce can, and it was SOOOO good. I didn't quite finish it though. Maybe I could get some kudos for that? I drank about 3/4 of it, and it was heaven. I'm still working on bread too. It seems everything is breaded these days. I've got four kids, football practice three nights a week, games another night, now we're adding 4H and I've got all my doctor's appointments! And weirdly enough half of all this takes place on Tuesdays! I'm busy, I don't always have time to cook something. I guess I'm gonna start replacing those "hurry up and eat we gotta go" meals with my protein shake!

Potatoes are gonna be the nail in the casket for me. I'm actually dreading not being able to eat them anymore. A lady at my support group meeting said, if there's something you want really bad, take a bite, and move on. Otherwise you'll just want it more and more and more. Would an occasional bite of potatoes really be that bad afterwards? Like, I've already decided to "cheat" and have one bite at Thanksgiving dinner. That's horrible, isn't it? Heck, I might not even feel up to eating again then. I mean I'll only be about 10 weeks post-op! Maybe Christmas then? I figure, if I stick to the meal plan 98% of the time, one bite here and there isn't going to throw the whole thing off, is it? That way I don't feel like I have about my diet coke. Where I tell myself no so long, that I go binge of potatoes! Gosh, that sounds like it could be uncomfortable after surgery!

I read a blog somewhere about a woman that was confused because she was dumping after a big cinnamon roll (complete with icing). She said she'd thought it was because she'd had a glass of milk with it this time. Obviously, that's not something you should be eating after WLS. I was under the impression that you wouldn't be ABLE to eat it without dumping. Apparently she eats them occasionally with no problems, but when she added the milk with it, it became one. I guess what I want to know is; would sneaking ONE bite of potatoes once or twice a month be detrimental to my weightloss? Is it going to set me back? I know they don't want you do to it, because simple carbs are addictive. When you take a bite you want another and before you know it, you've eaten a whole plate of mashed potatoes. But what if you could take one small bite and walk away? Is that okay?

Anyway, I'm making attempts to eliminate bread from my diet. I guess Diet Coke is nearly gone, and soon I'll be saying goodbye to potatoes too. And I have to say, when I first heard what my post-op mean plan would be like.....I honestly thought to myself, "If I can't eat sugar, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and drink my diet coke....what CAN I have?" Didn't seem at the time that I would have many choices left after eliminating those few things! Oh, and I AM making an effort to stomp out and sugar I was unknowingly eating. I am having trouble finding yogurt though. It all seems to have too much sugar, unless it's plain. Any suggestions there?

3 comments:

Scott said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. Your honesty is a real asset. Try the Carb Masters yougurt from Krogers. It is very low sugar and has 12 grams of pritein.

A word of advice, after surgery your taste will change. What you like today, you will hate tomorrow!

good luck!

Amber said...

I was never told no carbs, just try and aim for protein and veggies. As a matter of fact, my first meal in the hospital after surgery was mashed potatoes and purreed chicken. I agree with the other comment, your taste buds will be out of wack for about a year! Unfortunately, they'll come back eventually. I eat like a 1/2 sandwich if I'm craving one, but I get the low calorie/carb/added wheat stuff, so it's a little better than regular I guess. The one thing that was so easy for me was soda. I wasn't a big soda drinker, but I'd have at least one Diet DP a day. Now, when my husband has a soda I just take a really long sniff and I'm good to go! I read people who drink it after surgery, but I figure after almost 2 years of not having it I can do away with it now. Eveyone's opinion is different with the preperation. I personally didn't change my eating habits at all before surgery. Why? I'm going to be forced to after surgery, so why start now. And I'll be honest, I felt the same way about exercise. I know I should do it, but why not enjoy my "grace period" of losing without effort? Totally the wrong attitude to have, but in case in your heart you're feeling somewhat like that I just wanted to put it out there so you or anyone else who reads this knows if they feel that way they're not alone!

morbidly obtuse said...

Thanks guys. I'm don't feel pressured into making these changes. I mean, most of them have been really easy for me so far. No rice isn't that big a deal, I didn't eat it much before hand. No pasta, hasn't been NEARLY as bad as I thought it was. Adding a protein shake a day hasn't been hard either. (I made one with coconut cream today....NOT good, and I LOVE coconut!) The bread, potatoes, and Diet Coke is what hurts. I did want a Diet Coke today, but it wasn't a must have, more of a wish I had one, but no big deal. Thanks for your comments guys! I appreciate it! (Just a side note; I haven't been doing any extra exercise yet either.) I do need to hop to it soon though!

Powered by WebRing.